Pages

Sunday 12 March 2017

Public Service announcement - Woman with rare ailment seeks funds for foundation

Public Service announcement



The aim is to provide surgery subsidies for patients of NF2.

Woman with rare ailment seeks funds for foundation



PETALING JAYA: Being deaf and practically blind has not deterred Yvonne Foong from aiming to set up a foundation to help people stricken with the rare genetic condition she is suffering from.
The 31-year-old author and motivational speaker is currently seeking to attract sponsors and raise funds for the foundation, which she will set up in the United States in collaboration with the KECK School of Medicine at the University of Southern California.
The foundation aims to provide subsidies of up to 65% of surgery costs for patients of Neurofinromatosis Type 2 (NF2), the disease she suffers from. The aid will be available to NF2 patients anywhere in the world.
Foong was diagnosed with NF2 when she was 16 and has since undergone 20 neurosurgeries.


At the age of 19, she wrote a book titled I’m Not Sick, Just a Bit Unwell to raise funds for her treatment in the US.
“I managed to raise RM230,000 within 10 months,” she said. “So I have since continued to raise funds that way.”
She’ll be speaking today at the Federal Academy of Ballet in Petaling Jaya, where she used to be a student. She told FMT she had completed writing her second book and would promote it during the talk.
“I want to show that I have lived an active life, a life with no regrets,” she said.
“If I don’t tell my life story, many people won’t understand my situation. Many think I was born strong but that’s not true. I was weak before too and I have suffered. But I learnt to be strong eventually.”


No comments:

Traitors in the midst of Pakatan Harapan and mostly in DAP

Traitors in Pakatan Harapan , yes many are and do not realize they will be the ones because they are already been compromised during to the...

Popular Post